Monday, August 29, 2016

An Airport Reunion

I was struck by divinity last week.  I was working on an advertisement to post, looking for families with loved ones who live far away, or are away in the military, and will be coming home soon, so I can add those touching airport reunion sessions to my portfolio, and [DING] -facebook notification- I was tagged in a post of someone looking for exactly that!

This local gal was searching for a photographer to donate time to capture a reunion of her friend picking her kids up from the airport. This mom's story of courage and strength is AMAZING. (I didn't even ask for the whole story until afterwards, because I was afraid to be a blubbering baby! ....which I was anyways... big surprise there huh?)

I'll give you a little blurb of a background:  Muthoni, a Kenyan native, had three beautiful kiddos, Rosa (16), Biko (10), and Martin (6).  Her and her youngest left the states to go back to Kenya to help her mother through health problems, and they became financially stranded. After 3.5 years of many twist, turns, and struggles of trying to return and see her two oldest kids, the family was finally reunited, and I was so blessed to have been able to witness it.

As I pulled into the parking lot, the gorgeous sun setting sky had me so excited to capture more beauty inside the airport.



The plane landed moments after we arrived. 
Muthoni and Martin waited anxiously for passengers to start coming out.
Martin's silliness kept everyone entertained!




They moved over to the gate opening once the other passengers started pouring out.  Seconds moved like hours as people passed us.


 One sweet passenger stopped on her way out to say she had visited
with her daughter on the flight. It was so touching, and so reassuring
that her kids would soon come walking down that hall.




Jen was the person who originally reached out to me. 
She stood as a pillar of strength with her friend.



Muthoni's entire demeanor shifted
and I knew that she got a glimpse of her babies!



They beamed on their way down that hallway.



They embraced (and I cried)






They only let go to trade places and hug some more





Rosa showed that she gets her strength from her
mother as she wipes away her tears.




Biko shares the silliness trait, as him and his brother Martin play in the lobby.



They went to the service desk to make it official. Bracelets off, papers signed





Finally together again




It was such a humbling experience to stand with a woman so full of strength.  I can't imagine missing my babies for that long.  I pray that they're able to enjoy the time that the have together now, and I thank them for asking me to be a part of such a special occasion.
II Timothy 4:17a "But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength"





4 comments:

  1. So happy for Muthoni and Martin. Thank you for chronicling the experience for those of us who can now rejoice from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so beyond blessed to witness it, I'm so glad I could share it with you!

      Delete